Friday, 20 July 2012

leather spines

the one with an hourglass, already on its way to China. I must admit being extra excited whenever I get to ship to exotic and faraway places.



I love brown tarred paper. It looks like distressed leather and is so much more durable than plain paper. Also, it matches the maroon of this reindeer skin I've used on the spines perfectly.

On the note of colours, I've been tempted to mix near neutrals despite the utterly musty and boring results. I have no idea why I feel like using tan with gray etc.; I generally think it's a bad idea so I haven't acted on my urges. Maybe there could be a situation where the colours would work together, but I'm just having a hard time tracking it down...

2 comments:

nadine said...

just today i thought what it is that i love grey so much, while everyone else seems to think it is plain boring. to me it feels like gazing at a blind spot and i find comfort and joy in it. just a few weeks ago i painted my working room in an amazing soft brown-greyish wall colour and it gives me just that feeling - i love it, and i use neutrals as much as i like, despite what everyone else thinks. and you can also mix it with nearly any other colour if you like, everything goes with it.

Kyle Clark said...

I don't think the mixing of neutrals would produce negative outcomes. I think that just one time you should go with instinct and decide to combine neutrals, maybe on less expensive supplies at first. I do love your work you have posted, I have recently been introduced to the world of books and book binding in a course at university and think your work is incredible.

I would love for the opportunity to talk with you and learn about your books and how you bound them.