Thursday, 13 December 2007

Stamping exercises


Last night I stamped many meters of wrapping paper. On the living room floor. You may be able to imagine how much my knees hurt. I'm planning to make some more tonight! It was such fun, but I think I need to come up with some sort of knee pads. After working three months in a women's clothing store last summer I had more muscles in my arms than ever before. That work was so much more than just standing behind the counter. Now I know that there's hardly nothing left of those muscles. Maybe they will come back if I start regular stamping exercises? I think it's worth a try...

I cut my stamp from fun foam (or at least I think it's what you call it in English, although I'm not sure how fun it is) and stamped with acrylic paints mixed with wheat paste. That white looking color is actually metallic champagne, and the magenta and phthalo green paints are slightly metallic, too. Browns are what they are. And the paper is just plain brown wrapping paper bought from the post office.

I've already cut another stamp but I still need to glue it together. And stamp!

11 comments:

tulibri said...

Kaija, what a lovely idea. So simple and yet so gorgeous, I love it. I hope you don't mind me copying it (well, the technique) as it reminded me of having two rolls of craft paper lying around and no christmas wrapping paper yet! I also admire your bookcloths. They're marvelous.

Gene said...

I love this idea! It's so simple yet very creative. This is a nice way to whip up your own version of gift wrappers. The wrapper seems to have a nice texture, really lovely!

ShiriMe! said...

love it love it love it!

time to nap for me. i just finished a morning final exam today and got maybe 4 hours of sleep. yucky testing!

Hollabee said...

Cool! They look absolutely great..nothing better than handmade :) We're using scraps, mainly because it'll just be the two of us = not that many presents ;) so I'm missing out on the fun of making wrapping paper

Have a lovely christmas!

Freshly Found said...

This is so beautiful. Simple and striking. Well done. You make me feel like getting on the floor with some brown paper and trying out my creativity!

Francesca said...

lovely kaija...hope your knees recover! i love using rubber stamps on brown paper, i usually just stamp the name of the person the paper but this is much more colourful!

Amy said...

Gorgeous Kaija!! I love stamps and I love brown paper...there are so many ways to 'dress it up!' Your presents will look great!!

Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my most recent post :) I was so excited when I read it!! I've worked out how the 'favourites' work on etsy now, so I've hearted you too!! :) (I love etsy...so many wonderfully creative people with beautiful work!)

Hope your knees are okay x.

Kaija said...

Thanks everyone! Go on and print those papers! I'd love to see what others (that means probably Tulibri) come up with :)

Knees are okay, but the rest of me isn't. The flu is terrible at the moment, but I'll try to take pics of my first gocco experiments tomorrow. It all worked like magic although I wasn't in the most creative mood because of all the coughing.

I don't think I'm able to finish more books before January, as I'll be 'out of town' for a couple of weeks, but I promise I'll still keep blogging something!

Jesse said...

Lovely papers!

Nikki said...

I love the paper. So simple yet so sophisticated!

said...

hello, i discovered your blog today, hopped on over from the heartful blogger - what a lovely, bright place it is too!

i got all excited when i saw this post, that someone else out there actually made their own christmas wrapping paper this year too - me too, and it was so much fun! yours is so pretty bright and colourful!

i'm now going to continue having a wander around your blog.

have a nice day